Dr. Gangrene's Cinetarium airs Saturday Nights at 9pm central on Nashville NECAT Arts CH9. It is also simulcast on the NECAT Roku channel (search for Necat). Or click to watch below.

Wednesday, November 28

Happy Belated Birthday, Boris

November 23rd was the birth date of William Henry Pratt, better known to the world as Boris Karloff. Boris would have turned 120 this past Friday! Boris' birthday is always easy for me to remember as it is also my mother's birthday. I celebrated the evening watching House of Frankenstein with my ten year old son.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for good ole' Boris. From Frankenstein all the way to The Snake People, I don't believe he ever delivered a performance I didn't enjoy - even if the film was a stinker, Boris was enjoyable. From all accounts he was a genuinely nice guy, which just makes me appreciate him all the more.

Boris shared that great quality all the classic horror stars of yesteryear seemed to have - an amazing voice. I have always said I could listen to Vincent Price read a grocery list and still be entertained, and the same is true for Boris. His voice is what makes "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" so special. He was a one of a kind, and I always thought it great that he embraced his monster past, rather than feeling typecast. He once said "The monster was the best friend I ever had." Too true.

Below is a shot from one of my favorite Thriller episodes, "The Incredible Dr. Markeson." Boris plays a demented mad scientist with a rather ghoulish plan for revenge. Happy birthday, Boris.