Dr. Gangrene's Cinetarium airs Saturday Nights at 9pm central on Nashville NECAT Arts CH9. It is also simulcast on the NECAT Roku channel (search for Necat). Or click to watch below.

Tuesday, February 26

80th Academy Awards

I watched the Academy Awards Sunday night, and during the presentations they showed a montage of all 79 previous winners for Best Picture. I kept count of the ones I had seen from this list, and am embarassed to say it is under 20. Wow - that surprised me. My wife and I decided we need to take some time to sit and watch more of these. Time. Yeah, that's the trick - seems there's never enough time - I have stacks of movies I want to watch, and never enough time to view them all.

The one movie I came away wanting to see the most after the awards show was "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" (Warner Bros.). I'm going to be on the lookout for this one.

The horror category was woefully under represented this year, as usual. Sweeney Todd is the only horror movie I remember seeing nominated in any of the categories. Transformers got a couple of nominations, and I was glad to see Ratatouille get several nominations. Surprisingly, 300 didn't get a single nomination, not even for visual effects. Interesting. Matter of fact, of the list of films nominated for Best Movie in the Rondo Awards, only Pirates of the Caribbean got any Oscar nominations at all, and those were for technical categories.

Take a look at the list below, and you'll see some very worthy nominees were left off the Academy Awards list. I'm not surprised, but let me tell you, I bet over time I'll find myself watching the movies off the Rondo list way more than those on the Oscars list.

Rondo Awards - Best Movie of 2007
-- BEOWULF
-- '1408'
-- GHOST RIDER
-- GRINDHOUSE
-- HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX
-- THE HITCHER
-- THE HOST
-- I AM LEGEND
-- THE INVASION
-- THE LAST MIMZY
-- THE MESSENGERS
-- THE MIST
-- THE ORPHANAGE
-- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: WORLD'S END
-- ROB ZOMBIE'S HALLOWEEN
-- 30 DAYS OF NIGHT
-- 300
-- 28 WEEKS LATER
-- SPIDER-MAN III
-- STARDUST
-- SWEENEY TODD

Academy Awards - Best Picture
--Atonement
--Juno
--Michael Clayton
--No Country for Old Men
--There Will Be Blood